Focus issues...me, equipment, or paranoia?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Cakeshoppe
Cakeshoppe Regular Member • Posts: 213
Re: Focus issues...me, equipment, or paranoia?

If there are focus issues here, they are being masked by atmospheric haze. The distortions in the rock surface in your puffin picture are a dead giveaway for heat haze. Heat haze is most often caused by significant differences between ground and air temperature, so rocky surfaces that soak up the heat are especially prone.In your puffin image, you have probably 100 feet of hot stone between you and the puffin radiating heat into your FOV. Your Tern and Gull images both appear to be at closer range, and with vegetation tempering some of that heat. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do for heat haze, aside from waiting for conditions to improve (a breeze to pick up, a period of cloud cover, waiting until evening). If possible, getting closer to your subject puts less air between you and your subject, minimizing distortion.

Stopping down to f/8 will also give you a little help. With that kind of pixel density, I'd treat your shutter speeds the way that you would for a crop camera (multiply your shutter speed by 1.5 when using the 1/f rule), but you're probably alright around 1/1250 to 1/2000.

Cakeshoppe's gear list:Cakeshoppe's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow