Are we more demanding than Hollywood ?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
d3xmeister Veteran Member • Posts: 3,380
Are we more demanding than Hollywood ?

I’m not much of a movie buff, but I do watch two or three every month. I pay a lot of attention at the techniques used to tell the story and more often than not I found that these DOP’s 😀 really know what they are doing.

But letting the artistic part aside, I couldn't help to notice a interesting technical aspect, and that is, Hollywood doesn’t seem to be bothered about stuff we go crazy about especially on these forums.

In almost every movie I see, even new ones, if I look for I can observe: fringing, busy bokeh, onion bokeh balls, grain, noise, and what seem to be sometimes very un-sharp, low contrast lenses.

As opposed to thet, there seem to be 0 tollerance to grain, even when it’s only visible on pixel peeping, same for fringing, same for anything but smooth bokeh, and lens sharpness seems to rule everything.

Ok, I understand that one is video and one is stills, but I see the same when peope are discussing cameras and lenses for video too.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow