Lens recommendation

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
juanmaasecas Regular Member • Posts: 242
Lens recommendation

Firstly please take a look at my current kit:

Samyang 14mm, Sony 28mm, canon 40mm 2.8, Sony 50mm, canon 85 1.8 and canon 70-200 f4.

I used to have an old wide zoom before (cosina 19-35) and a normal zoom (Tamron 28-75 2.8 old version), but I ditched them seeking more quality and low light capability. I'm most of the time shooting in low light, nighr animal here haha.

I'm still a PhD student so my budget is limited, that's why I don't want to overlap focal lengths. Most of the time I'm shooting candid portraits, some landscape, nothing professional.

Before I used to have a lot of 50mm lenses but now I just have the Sony 50 and I don't use it that much. At medium and far distances, it's super sharp even at 1.8, but at portrait distances it's not very good, the Canon 50 stm I had before had better sharpness/microcontrast but focusing outside the center was not accurate...

I had for a month or so a canon 35 f2 (old version) and I quite liked a lot the focal length and the look of the pictures with it, but it was too noisy focusing and my copy was de entered, so I kept the Canon 40 (sharper but slower and lacking a bit of the magic of the 35) and bought the Sony 28. I'm liking the Sony 28 more than expected, and I bought it cheap second handed (like 230 use) and it's pretty sharp, with lovely colors and nice bokeh, but most of the time I feel it too wide. Nice for landscapes, but for portrait in portrait orientation (quite far, environmental like) I find the 35 worked much better than 28.

So I'm thinking about maybe ditching both 28 and 40 and buying the sigma/rokinon 35 1.4. In fredmiranda an user claimed the rokinon was better, but in a YouTube video I watched, the Sigma is clearly better, so I'm not sure yet which one I'd opt for, but what do you think?

The 35 1.4 is much heavier and larger (and expensive) than the other primes, that's why I try to avoid the gas and stay as I am, but a 35 1.4 has this special magic... But keeping all of them is an overkill for me (too many lenses and in too close focal lengths).

What should I do?

juanmaasecas's gear list:juanmaasecas's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow