Can someone please test a function for me on the X-T20 and X-T2?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
quintana Regular Member • Posts: 184
Can someone please test a function for me on the X-T20 and X-T2?

It won't take long, I promise

So I got the X-T100 a couple of days ago and I am not happy with how the camera handles the aperture during live preview (doesn't matter if on the display or through the EVF) because it closes and opens the aperture depending on the amount of light that comes through the lens.

This is a problem for me, especially with manual focusing because when I focus manually I want to have it as precise at possible (obviously) and for precise focusing I would need the aperture open as wide as possible for the thinnest depth of field. But if it closes down to f/16 in broad daylight there is no way of telling what's in focus and what's not when I take the picture at f/5.6 for example. The only way to circumvent this is to use the "depth of field preview" function and to remember to do so before every shot and then open the aperture manually as wide as possible and then close it again before taking the shot. This is pretty annoying and every time I'm going into the quick menu I have to remember to activate "depth of field preview" again because it gets deactivated once I'm entering a menu.

This is pretty annoying and I'm wondering if there is an easier way of focusing manually with the X-T20 (which would definitely be enough for me - feature wise) or the X-T2 (overkill for me, but I might consider it if it's the only cam of doing it the way I'd like to do it).

So could X-T20 and X-T2 users please check for me what happens with the aperture when you're using manual focus with magnification (this is important!) in broad daylight?

There are 3 options:

a) The aperture closes down as much as possible. This is what the X-T100 does and I call it the "worst case scenario"

b) The aperture closes down to the set value and if you set it to the wide open aperture it stays like this, even in broad daylight. This would be OK for me because it would spare me using the "depth of field preview" function every time I want to focus manually.

c) The aperture is always wide open regardless of the chosen aperture for the shot. This is what I would prefer because it would consistantly give me the most precise option for focusing manually without ever having to think of opening the aperture before focusing or even using "depth of field preview" additionally.

Any help is much appreciated!

quintana's gear list:quintana's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow