Not a Best Buy

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dr_Love
Dr_Love Regular Member • Posts: 475
Not a Best Buy

Best Buy is not really a place that I think of when looking for camera gear. If I'm in the store it is safe to say that I will definitely walk through the camera department and have a look, but that is about the extent of it. Every now and then I'll be surfing for bargains and occasionally I'll hit the Best Buy site. I've never really found anything of note there as the open box deals are not that great from what I've seen. I'm sure there is the occasional exception.

I was looking at some of their open box products online and for some reason decided to check the return policy as I have heard some not to positive things. What did I find? NO RETURNS on camera bodies and lenses unless they have never been opened. Wow!

My question at this point is would you buy from these people knowing that if your camera or lens is DOA you need to go through warranty? They will not take it back if opened. Period. I may be wrong in how I have interpreted this so please correct me if that is the case.

WTH? From a business standpoint I see where they are coming from. Obviously people have taken advantage of the return policy in the past and as such they have responded in a way to reduce losses on open box products.

I have to question the logic in this policy. Unless they have a price that blows the doors off the competition, why would I want to buy from these people when companies like Amazon give you a month and some very liberal return policies.

It is my speculation that this is one of the reasons that the camera department at Best Buy is shrinking year after year. All I know is that if they can't have my back on a new product out of the box, then why would I want to deal with them in the first place?

This is just another example of how brick and mortar stores will phase themselves out of existence. The biggest reason for me to go brick and mortar over online purchasing is customer service. Take that out of the equation and it doesn't really give me a reason not to buy online with good return policy.

Thoughts?

Dr_Love's gear list:Dr_Love's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a6500 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow