Disappointed with a7iii low light autofocus performance.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ChloeScan Forum Member • Posts: 64
Disappointed with a7iii low light autofocus performance.

Hello,

I have just bought a Sony a7iii to use alongside my Fujifilm kit of which I have an older X-Pro1 and an X-E3. My idea was to move completely to full frame.

However, I have run across an issue, a big issue for me anyway. I am quite disappointed with the low light focusing performance of the a7iii.                                   Before making the purchasing decision I researched this camera like crazy, and pretty much everyone said the focusing performance is outstanding. So I bought one.                                                                                       I have tested it for a couple of days now, in good light it’s fine, but when the light level drops it struggles, which has come as a bit of a shock.                           Low light for me is 12,800 iso f2.8 60th. Here my Fujifilm X-E3 locks on to everything for fun, whereas the Sony simply doesn’t,  It hunts and hunts and struggles like mad to acquire focus. I am using the Sony Zeiss 35 f2.8 and exclusively shooting for testing with the centre point focusing mode, as this is how I normally shoot.

Has anyone any advice or opinion please? As of right now I will have to send it back as it seems to focus so poor in low light.

Thank you, Chloe.

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow