why are Sony FE lens so expensive ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,889
Re: It is the price model

Trollmannx wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Which Canon 35/2 do you have? The old one is meh but the new one is excellent. The 100/2 is also.

Have the old one. The cheap one, but it still is a Canon branded lens.

Point is that there is a connection between price and quality.

And if too many just want cheap, then none will make better - but more expensive - lenses.

So in my case I am happy that there are good lenses around. And how to afford those better lenses - just buy fewer lenses. Rather one good lens than three bad ones...

There's definitely an appetite for expensive glass in the FE user market. A lot of crop users complain but when you look at the way things have gone for Sony can you blame them? A $1000 lens in the crop world is a lot, even for Fuji which has managed to convince people that a few APS-C lenses in that price range are OK. A $900 24Z or 16-70 are tough when lenses like the 28/2, 24-70/4 and 24-105/4 exist.

Still though I've used a bunch of Canon's "cheap" FF lenses.... some are less than great, but some are very good like the 40 STM I have on now. Sony probably doesn't have the volume to make something that good and cheap, but some more lenses in the ~$500 range rather than the $1000-1500 range would be nice.

Real advantage is native AF. With my A7II Eye-AF was useless but now with the A7RII it's a must have. Transformative, especially with fast glass. MkIIIs have it with adapted glass but still.

In my case it is native all the way - but I do not have a harem of lenses...

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

Sometimes I even look at my pictures... :-Du

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow