Beginner Astrophotography advises please!

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
betelgeuse91 Junior Member • Posts: 28
Beginner Astrophotography advises please!

Hi, I have been stargazing with Sky-Watcher 120mm refractor with 600mm focal length, F5 telescope and got into astrophotography with a mirrorless camera with short lenses and a barn-door tracker.

I want to step up and get into AP with a telescope! So I ordered Celestron Nexstar 102 SLT, a Goto refractor with F6.6. I am aware of shortcomings of cheap setups but I am a beginner and a student! I hear that this Goto provides about 20 seconds subs with ~70% keepers but that is totally fine for a beginner I think...! I mean, I have been living with 30 seconds subs with 50mm lens on a barn-door tracker...

So 102 SLT is on its way but I just got to think, wait, what about that 120mm refractor? I know if I return that 102 SLT then amazon will hate me (idk if i can get banned for returning such expensive item... i don't spend much on shopping) but I started thinking maybe instead of buying that, I can get a mount that can mount 120mm refractor.

I weighted the 120mm tube and it was about 11 lbs. Well 120mm F5 will gather 57% more light than 102mm F6.6 and it'll be huge!

So I am wondering if there is a mount that will support 15lbs (excluding counterweight) and provide 30~60 seconds subs unguided (no budget for guiding). I have budget up to $500 ish.

Any recommendations, advises, comments will be greatly appreciated! Maybe I should return 102 SLT and save up for something like AVX...?  Or stick to 102 SLT? I feel very confused... Thank you for reading the post!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow