New gear for 4K High School Sports Video

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dlbzone Forum Member • Posts: 56
New gear for 4K High School Sports Video

I am an amateur high school sports videographer for Soccer, Basketball, Volleyball and Cheerleading. I have been using a Canon 5D3 for about 4 years with Tamron 24-70 F2.8 VC mostly and occasionally Tamron 70-200 F2.8 VC shooting all manual. I set up the camera and can only pan because zoom requires refocus, which is not easy to do manually on 5D3 in real time.

I want to capture more detail and therefore go to 4K and I want to be able to zoom real time with autofocus. I am considering buying a Sony A7 iii body and either trying to adapt my Tamron lenses with the Metabones5 zooming manually with autofocus or buying the Sony 18-105 F4 OSS PowerZoom lens and using with the Sony remote commander VPR1 for tripod zoom control without having to touch the camera or lens reducing camera shake.

My budget is about $2500.

Questions:

1) Do you think the Sony A7 iii is a good option for my use case?

2) Do you think I am better off buying Sony 18-105 F4 OSS powerzoom or trying to adapt my Tamron glass and zooming manually?

3) Do you have any other recommendations or links to information sources that will help my use case?

Thank you!

dlbzone's gear list:dlbzone's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a7 III Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow