Comments on using the 300 PF at slow shutter speeds

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
graemechapman
graemechapman Regular Member • Posts: 171
Comments on using the 300 PF at slow shutter speeds

There has been quite a bit of discussion about the possible reasons why the VR seems to fail for some people at some slow shutter speeds.

I have no idea whether it is mirror slap, poor handholding technique or whatever but I'm just showing what works for me.

I mainly photograph birds so in general, for sharp images, slow shutter speeds should be avoided. I had to search through a heap of images to find the attached pic of a Striated Thornbill (one of Australia's smallest birds) taken at 1/160th sec. It was one of many which were blurred because of subject movement. The picture has not been sharpened and for my purposes shows adequate detail -  look at the bird's face . The VR would have been active.

Striated Thornbill at grevillea flower.

I use my 300 PF permanently fitted to a D500 with a 1.4x ( or 1.7x) converter AND A TRIPOD MOUNT. I use 800 ISO in most circumstances.

In terms of mirror slap there is a possibility that the natural resonance of this setup is better than the bare lens. Who knows? The main thing is it works for me.

The tripod mount makes the unit much more comfortable (for me) to handhold. The extra weight is not noticeable. The rubber band is to stop accidental activation of the manual focus which can't be switched off with this lens.

D500 with 300 PF, 1.7x and tripod mount

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow