Dynamic Range, again Locked

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
photog7320 Senior Member • Posts: 2,423
Re: Dynamic Range, again

dpr4bb wrote:

You can alway protect any highlight by under-exposing if you want. The real question is what noise penalty do you incur in the shadows. That’s what DR is all about. Focus accuracy is something else. But it’s really amusing how everybody is harping on it here. And l know why. DR has always been a sore spot here. But Canon has been improving the DR of all of its recent sensors (with the glaring exception of the 6DII, which is still stuck in pre-2012 days). Obviously, Canon engineers do believe that more DR is needed. But let’s not let that get in the way of all the disingenuous arguments that we don’t need more DR.

I don't believe anyone has said they wouldn't like more total DR. Simply that the sample image shown is well within the DR of even a 2004 Canon DSLR.

And apparently the pre-2012 days weren't all that bad in terms of DR, even on a crop sensor with high pixel density.

Can Deardorff provide us with a RAW bird shot that has more extreme scene range than my landscape shot? If not then the problem is simply not DR.

It's disingenuous to talk endlessly about DR, pretend it is the single biggest factor in IQ, and blame it for missed images (of flat scenes) when Canon crop DR from 2009 exceeds the requirements of the vast majority of scenes when shot in RAW and processed correctly.

I can count on one hand the instances when an original 7D's DR failed me because I could only get one frame and just a little more shadow push would have allowed me to recover all the shadow detail I wanted in a single frame. My main camera is now a 5Ds and even though it doesn't have Sony levels of DR, it would have handled those situations with ease.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow