Don Lacy
Don Lacy Senior Member • Posts: 1,603
Re: Dynamic Range, again

dpr4bb wrote:

Don Lacy wrote:

dpr4bb wrote:

sceneIt wrote:

Deardorff wrote:

Hoping Canon really ups their game with increased Dynamic Range at lower ISO settings. I know many situations don't really need it if they are exposed well.

This situation would really benefit.

I lose highlight feather information on the brightest part of the chest. Light is light overcast, not direct sunlight. Problem is that when the sun comes out, clouds clear I get deep blue water, black as well as bright white feathers. I expose so the bright feathers show a hint of detail and can't boost the dark feathers without losing it. Friend shooting a Nikon 850 is just fine in the same conditions. He can boost shadows without losing anything we can see.

If I overexpose the bright white and try to bring it back down in post processing I lose it. The detail is just not there. His is and he can work it much easier. Don't really want to switch to Nikon - and I don't shoot this type of subject every day. I do it often enough that the limitations are a bother. Winter is worse with our snow covered landscape and sub zero temperatures.

So, CANON - I am only looking at this at lower ISO settings. 200 and 100 where I live with the camera. If I had the friends Nikon I would be shooting at ISO64. If it were made I would be shooting with even greater dynamic range on these types of subjects at ISO25 just as I used to with Kodachrome 25. With it we exposed for the highlights and lived with black shadows. With digital advancements I should not have to do that.

At any rate - just hoping Canon gets at least even with the competition. I understand their emphasis on ever higher ISO settings but would actually use lower settings and benefit from them even more.

On this image - it is showing the whites. Maybe I'm not as good with recovery as I should be? I do know that many images I can get detail in the whites and show water droplets on them but lose more on the shadow end than my friends D850. Also his D810.

Western Grebe - North Dakota, USA Copyright 2018 Daniel Smith

The bird is way out of focus, so fine details have been lost which is exacerbating the issue.

Would DR have increased with better focus

It’s not a DR issue it’s an exposure issue we blew the whites at the time of capture if he had exposed for the whites he could easily pull detail back into the dark feathers. You can keep trolling if you want but DR is not the issue.

You can alway protect any highlight by under-exposing if you want. The real question is what noise penalty do you incur in the shadows. That’s what DR is all about. Focus accuracy is something else. But it’s really amusing how everybody is harping on it here. And l know why. DR has always been a sore spot here. But Canon has been improving the DR of all of its recent sensors (with the glaring exception of the 6DII, which is still stuck in pre-2012 days). Obviously, Canon engineers do believe that more DR is needed. But let’s not let that get in the way of all the disingenuous arguments that we don’t need more DR.

I beg to differ on who is actually trolling here.

My old 40D could handle the shadow push needed to bring detail back into the dark feathers if this image had been properly exposed for from the beginning. There is a reason why the DR debate never really got a hold of wildlife photographers and its for the simple reason that at the ISO's nature images are usually shot at there is little difference between brands when it comes to DR. The only issue with this image is poor exposure not DR so again bashing Canon DR even older cameras over this image just shows a lack of understanding on the subject

Don Lacy's gear list:Don Lacy's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M100 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow