G7X II - HDR confusion

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Steerpike Regular Member • Posts: 104
G7X II - HDR confusion

I just got my G7X Mk II yesterday and generally like it; it seems a good replacement for my Lumix LX7 that was damaged. However, I'm disappointed in the HDR feature. My Samsung S7 smartphone has a rather remarkable HDR mode, so I was expecting better results from the G7X-II.

When I select HDR, the default HDR mode is 'Natural'. In this mode, three shots are taken and some moderate processing is applied, but the result (with some indoor shots with bright windows) seems quite bland. When I tried the 'next' mode of 'Art-standard', there's way too much boost of saturation for my taste - reds/oranges are way too strong.  I took some landscape shots last night at sunset and could not discern any benefit from HDR 'standard'; my Samsung S7 on the other hand does a remarkable job.

I know about/ understand/have done exposure bracketing and HDR post-processing in Photoshop; I'm looking for something in-camera that is at least as good as my Samsung S7.

Are there any tweaks to get better results from the HDR mode?  Also, HDR seems to force 3:2 aspect, which is not consistent with my setting of 16:9.

Canon G7 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow