Interesting conundrum. Sigma 35 ART or Batis 40?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,506
Interesting conundrum. Sigma 35 ART or Batis 40?

I have always loved the 40mm FOV. Pretty close to the 42mm "normal" view, so it takes very little thought to shoot with. Wide enough to use indoors, but with just that bit more reach and "perspective compression" over a 35. When I first got into the FE system, I had the EF 35/2 IS and 40 STM at the same time, and I wound up keeping the 40.

Fast forward to now... we have a boatload of fast 35 choices (but still no native AF 35/2), and the recently announced Batis 40. Initially I wrote it off... "only F/2? Blah".... but looking at some DoF calculators, the 40 at F/2 has less DoF than the 35 ART at the same focal distance. So that combined with the more magnified background should satiate my bokeh addiction

DxO wise, comparing the Batis 25 with the 24 ART on the same sensor (A7R vs D800e), they're pretty much matched in sharpness and CA. Batis has better transmission vs its max aperture.... but oddly, at the same time, the Batis has about 1 stop more vignetting from mid frame outward vs the 24 ART. Obviously the 40 might be different, but that gives me pause.

Overall though, when factoring in the Zeiss rendering, the ~300g or so speculated weight savings, the native Sony AF performance.... the vignetting is a small tradeoff. Especially considering my Samyang 35 is worse than both and I don't really notice it. I generally have a psychological hangup about spending more than $1000 on a lens, but with how bread and buttery the fast wide-normal prime is for me I think this will be worth it. Especially with the 35 FE ART already being $900, and the generally good resale value on Zeiss glass.  I have enough to sell for it that it's no big deal. That combined with the 55 ZA is a pretty compelling and satisfyingly contrarian ( ) prime combo.

Which way are you leaning, if at all?

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow