Mountain Lion Encounter

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 3,032
Mountain Lion Encounter

Mountain Lion on the run - Flagstaff, AZ

I was walking a forest trail, this morning, when a mountain lion sprinted past about 30-feet in front of me.

I had been set up at the edge of the forest hoping for elk or pronghorn to graze their way to my location. I did see a herd of about 60 elk but it was about 1/2-mile distant...well out of range for photography.

A couple of hours after sunrise, I spotted a herd of pronghorn in the distance, and decided to go into the forest for cover and walk to a location near their position. I was probably halfway to where I wanted to be when I heard the sound of a large animal bolting from cover. In the next instant, I saw the unmistakeable form of a mountain lion bounding across the trail no more than about 30-feet ahead of me.

At this instant, I reflexively raised my camera (D500 with Nikkor 200-500), aimed and started shooting. The above is one of the few exposures showing the big cat in sunlight. It's not well-focused but does capture the cat in stride.

I've never seen a mountain lion in the wild and certainly never expected my first sighting to be so up close and personal. Whew, my heart starts racing just thinking about it.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow