Fuji gear to Arctic Svalbard, Norway

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
swwang Junior Member • Posts: 38
Fuji gear to Arctic Svalbard, Norway

Some of you may remember I did a post on Fujifilm gear to Antarctica  , this time I went north to Arctic Svalbard to see polar bears, again on the Lindblad/National Geographic Explorer ship.  I also visited Bergen, Oslo, and the Fjords as a pre-trip.  I will do a separate post on that because that's where the X-H1IBIS really came in handy and worked flawlessly.

My equipment list is similar to last time except with X-H1replacing the XT-2.

• 10-24mm f/4 R OIS
  • 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR with 1.4x TC WR teleconverter
  • 16-55mm f/2.8 RLM WR
  • 50-140mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR
  • X-H1 with battery grip
  • XPRO-2 with grip (MHG)
  • iPhone X for panorama and quick shots
  • I did not take my travel tripod or flash

In order to travel light I did not take the Airport AirStream roller, I just used the PeakDesign 20L backpack as the travel backpack with X-H1 with 16-55mm mounted and 50-140mm in the bottom shelf.  All other equipment and lenses were stuffed in the PD Sling and a PD field pouch in the checked luggage.  Lenses and XPRO-2 body were wrapped in the Fuji supplied soft pouch first.

I also "down graded" to a 13" MacBook Pro, again to reduce weight and bulk.  I used 2 128 GB SanDisk XCII cards and LR CC Classic.

Again, 100-400mm was indispensable, I also used the 1.4x converter most of the time.  I mostly set the ISO to 200 and set either shutter speed or aperture or both to Auto.  When shooting the bear shots I used CL and single point focus, otherwise zone focus.

We saw 4 polar bears, three of them were far away resulting in significant cropping except for the last one as you'll see below.

On to the pictures:

Blue Whale

Woodfjorden in Spitsvegen, Svalbard

Svalbard Reindeer

Walrus

The lonely polar bear

Southern Edgoya

Mother and cub, they were far far away, appeared as a dot to the naked eye

This young male bear was curious and came towards the ship, a rare occurrence, we were very fortunate.

He posed for us.

Hinlopen Strait, love the color.

Analodden in Hornsund, Svalbard

Zodiac cruise around Hornsund, loved the back lit effect

swwang's gear list:swwang's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +5 more
Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow