New Panny Leica 50-200 Soft @ 200mm :(

Started Jun 22, 2018 | Discussions thread
C Sean Senior Member • Posts: 1,945
Re: Okay doubters... Pics... :)

Kubicide wrote:

amtberg wrote:

Looks bad, assuming the 50-200 is on the left. What were your exposure settings? Tripod or no? IS on or off? What body? Filter or no filter? AF or MF?

It was hand held, 1/500, f4, no filter, IS on, AF single. The 100-400 same except f5.1 and slight ISO difference.

It's defective for sure either with the OS unit or the optics/mechanics. The post here was really to share and find out if this was a one-off or possible bigger issue as some zoom lenses certainly do soften up at the extremes. Not many owners have replied so far to help verify how isolated this is.

I always shoot handheld and my very first shots with the 50-200mm 2.8-4 was in the back garden. At 200mm, I was taking photos of garden ornaments and on closer inspections the lens was capturing 'small' insects on these ornaments. I'm talking about insects the size of your typical house fly, I'm talking about the insects the size of a tip of a pin. To pick up the the tiniest of insects some distance away shows good copy of your 50-200 can be pretty sharp.

Looking at your photos, it clear your lens is defective and of course should be returned to the supplier.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow