Dynamic Range, again Locked

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
dpr4bb Senior Member • Posts: 1,207
Re: Dynamic Range, again

Deardorff wrote:

Hey guys, I have a number that are sharp enough to see water droplets on the feathers. This 1DMkIV as well as 7D. This one is ISO400 but the problem of blown whites persists even at ISO100.

Have been trying to reply but thunderstorms w/big lightning in our area had had internet in and out.

Used this one because it shows the blown out whites well. The sharp images have it as well. I can cut exposure a bit and get the whites with detail but then the blacks and dark areas are so dark that raising them introduces problems.

Did compare two friends Nikons mentioned with both cameras and they are a bit better.

So, maybe I don't understand dynamic range - but not getting the detail I can work with in the shadows and highlights is still a pain in the butt. Kodachrome 25 and Velvia 50 I could/can work with and know the deep shadows are just gone - no raising them. Thinking the digital software and such would work a bit better for this.

Now if I could live with B&W I would use TMax 100 where I can get 18 zones of information in the negative - but printing it is a problem.

So, where am I going wrong here - other than not wanting to drop $3000+ on ever newer bodies?

Complaining about DR never goes down well in this forum

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow