Dynamic Range, again Locked

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
dpr4bb Senior Member • Posts: 1,197
Re: Dynamic Range, again

sceneIt wrote:

Deardorff wrote:

Hoping Canon really ups their game with increased Dynamic Range at lower ISO settings. I know many situations don't really need it if they are exposed well.

This situation would really benefit.

I lose highlight feather information on the brightest part of the chest. Light is light overcast, not direct sunlight. Problem is that when the sun comes out, clouds clear I get deep blue water, black as well as bright white feathers. I expose so the bright feathers show a hint of detail and can't boost the dark feathers without losing it. Friend shooting a Nikon 850 is just fine in the same conditions. He can boost shadows without losing anything we can see.

If I overexpose the bright white and try to bring it back down in post processing I lose it. The detail is just not there. His is and he can work it much easier. Don't really want to switch to Nikon - and I don't shoot this type of subject every day. I do it often enough that the limitations are a bother. Winter is worse with our snow covered landscape and sub zero temperatures.

So, CANON - I am only looking at this at lower ISO settings. 200 and 100 where I live with the camera. If I had the friends Nikon I would be shooting at ISO64. If it were made I would be shooting with even greater dynamic range on these types of subjects at ISO25 just as I used to with Kodachrome 25. With it we exposed for the highlights and lived with black shadows. With digital advancements I should not have to do that.

At any rate - just hoping Canon gets at least even with the competition. I understand their emphasis on ever higher ISO settings but would actually use lower settings and benefit from them even more.

On this image - it is showing the whites. Maybe I'm not as good with recovery as I should be? I do know that many images I can get detail in the whites and show water droplets on them but lose more on the shadow end than my friends D850. Also his D810.

Western Grebe - North Dakota, USA Copyright 2018 Daniel Smith

The bird is way out of focus, so fine details have been lost which is exacerbating the issue.

Would DR have increased with better focus

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow