Dynamic Range, again Locked

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Don Lacy Senior Member • Posts: 1,490
Re: Dynamic Range, again

This image in that light is well within the DR of any current or past Canon camera. The issues with the image are the fault of poor decisions made in the field the first was not properly exposing for the whites. The Jpeg as presented has the tonal values on the bright breast at 255 which is pure white and will lack any detail. The second issue is the shutter speed used at 320 there is little chance of getting the grebe sharp as it is moving.  The 5DMKIV can easily get clean files at ISO 1600 so I would have been at ISO 800 but even if you had stayed at ISO 400 an properly exposed the image for the whites which if I had to guess are at least 1 stop over exposed you would have had enough shutter speed to freezer the action. The image is lacking detail because none was captured at the time of exposure the issue is purely the fault of the photographer and not the camera.

The 5DMKIV is more then capable when it come to DR here is a quick example of how much you can push its files the Kite image was shot at ISO 800 and these are just quick edits but do show what you can do especially if your are processing for web viewing. If you had exposed for the white you could have easily pushed the shadows if needed in post to reveal detail in them.

Sun had dipped behind the clouds and I did not make the adjustment so this image was under exposed

Again a quick edit with no NR done to it but for web viewing I don't think it really needs it .

Don Lacy's gear list:Don Lacy's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow