Should I Take My Big Nikon to Yellowstone/Tetons?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kaphinga
kaphinga Senior Member • Posts: 1,910
Should I Take My Big Nikon to Yellowstone/Tetons?

I am primarily a Micro 4/3 shooter, and I am planning a trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons in September. It's a big/important trip for me, and I want to get it right. I am planning to take two Olympus OMD bodies and a good selection of lenses to cover everything from ultra-wide angle to long telephoto. There is no doubt that my M4/3 gear will go with me on the trip.

However, I also have a Nikon d750 that I use primarily to shoot things in motion at night. I have 3 primes: -- 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm --- as well as the 24-120mm zoom. The Nikon is a great camera. I am glad I have it, but it is not my everyday shooter.

The Micro 4/3 gear should cover my needs well, but there is this little voice that keeps telling that I ought to take the Nikon, too.

There are a lot of reasons *not* to take the Nikon:

* The focal lengths are covered with m4/3

* I don't need especially shallow DOF.

* I don't print big.

* It weighs 3 pounds (with the 24-120mm).

* I don't want to hike with it.

* I don't have long lenses for wildlife (and I am not going to buy a new lens)

* If I can't shoot wildlife with it, the autofocus/tracking is not that important.

* I am not planning to shoot much at night.

But there are also some good reasons I might want to take the Nikon:

* Higher dynamic range at base ISO.

* A third body. I could see a wildlife situation (from the car or close to the car) where I have the m4/3 300mm with teleconverter on one body, the m4/3 100-300mm on another body, and the Nikon for close range.

* Just because I want to. I have the Nikon, and the trip is a good excuse to give it a workout. This may be the only reason I need.

One more thing. I am not going to buy any new gear before the trip.

So, what do you say? Should I take the big Nikon or not? Are there reasons to take it that I haven't thought of? Am I going to regret leaving it at home?

I welcome your comments and suggestions, but, please, let's don't this to turn into a format war. I am asking a very sincere question.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Marie

kaphinga's gear list:kaphinga's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Apple iPhone 7 Plus Olympus OM-D E-M10 +16 more
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
iau
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow