Need some help with my settings? Or my skills? Surf photos awful

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
damage98 Junior Member • Posts: 42
Need some help with my settings? Or my skills? Surf photos awful

Hi Folks

I'm disappointed with the results of my shooting yesterday. It was the last day of my sons surf camp and I took my new G9 with Panasonic G X 45-175 and a monopod to try and get some photos of him in the water. I shot manual at f8 and adjusted shutter speed as needed, trying to underexpose slightly because of the harsh 11AM sunlight on the water.

Initially I had IS enabled, but I also tried shutting it off, given the SS. Most of the shots are at full zoom , 175.

I had metering set to the standard evaluative, in lumix lingo its multi metering. I shoot raw +jpeg and typically don't look at jpegs, just load the raws into lightroom and do simple processing, auto exposure , lens corrections and not much more. The results from this shoot are awful, humbling. Maybe I should have shot shutter prio and used exp comp? Most of the other surf shots are the same. I don't know, did I miss the focus point? To me the shots just look noisy and awful. Is it he ISO? I had thought I set ISO to 200 when I setup, obviously not, looks like i was in Auto 1, 200-max 800.

I have shot with this lens before and got good results, so I can't blame the equipment. What did I do wrong?

the photos are SOOC jpegs.

damage98's gear list:damage98's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T20 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow