How do the K-5, K-5ii, K-5iiS, K-3 and K-3ii measure up?

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Anders_Nilsson Regular Member • Posts: 291
How do the K-5, K-5ii, K-5iiS, K-3 and K-3ii measure up?

Well, I have checked around a little, here in China the prices are like:

K-5: $230

K-5ii: $310

K-5iiS: $340-$380

K-3: $460

K-3ii: $550

Give or take a little. As even the K-5 has focus adjustment, it would make a nice second system to my Sonies that can be banged around or more comfortably be taken to places where theft is an issue. As such places are often hot and humid, the WR comes in handy. At less than 700g for the K-5 and 800g for the K-3 they're in the same league as the a77ii.

For me it seems that the K-5ii(S) is the sweet spot for a "glove box" camera, maybe matched with some 17-50 or 17-70 depending on what I can find second hand. Focus adjust is for me a given (in hindsight, rightly so) so I'm happy to see Pentax has included this. These enthusiast bodies today sell for peanuts but if You want focus adjust on SoCaNikon You have to shell out for the top APS-C range.

Now, can some old Pentax hands describe what You gain or lose with the various bodies? Focus is on a cheap second system that will probably be used for vacation shots with a single zoom lens. I would be happy to know which SoCaNikon models they are closest to in performance.

Anders_Nilsson's gear list:Anders_Nilsson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Casio Exilim EX-10 Casio Exilim EX-100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a99 +14 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow