Importing progressive jpegs into lightroom

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mike Shand New Member • Posts: 10
Importing progressive jpegs into lightroom

Has anyone noticed problems importing jpegs recently created by android phones into Lightroom? I've tried it in Lightroom 5 and cc classic.

I suddenly have a problem. I routinely, cause my iPhone to copy any pictures (either taken on the phone or received in whatsapp etc.) to dropbox. Then periodically, I import those images into lightroom.

When I just did it, after a gap of a couple of months, I found that about 20% of the recent ones could not be imported. "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo".

On investigation it appears (from a sample of about a dozen) that all the ones not imported are encoded as progressive jpegs, while good ones aren't.

It copies the files OK, and they are in the correct folder and can be opened by other image applications, but lightroom cannot show a preview, and if you try to develop it, it says "The file appears to be unsupported or damaged"

So I'm guessing that something somewhere has changed to that encoding. I suspect android phones (they all appear to be from androids. ) or possibly whatsapp itself.

Rewriting one of these files as non-progressive in irfanview allows lightroom to import it OK.

but I'm surprised that I can't find anyone else complaining bout this issue.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow