In flight dragonfly stacking.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 5,120
In flight dragonfly stacking.

Hi guys,

I had tried stacking using my microscope and had some but limited success, the microscope optics don't control well enough CAs and flaring towards the image edges, so A4 is the maximum size image one can hope for.

32 stacked images.......F11 at half a second exposure.....200 ISO D750.

So it was back to the shooting board!

I decided on an in flight look albeit manufactured, I dragged in a few plants and a couple of flowers from outside and set up a scene. I just use a 30 X 60cm pine board that you find at any hardware store and drill a recessed hole for a tripod screw so as to solidly mount the camera.

The pinned dragonfly is placed on the board in front of the flowered backdrop, and as the camera and subject are on the same board, even it the whole caboodle is nudged the subject remains fixed in the view-finder, it's super stable and super cheap.

I used the Sigma 150mm EX F2.8 macro lens on the D750, and I will just say although this is a great lens, it's manual focus ring is not sufficiently geared down enough, when you are advancing the focal plane by 1/4mm at a time down the bug, the focus ring needs only the slightest touch.......probably a common problem as the focus ring rotates 270° nevertheless.

Lighting was from a cheap macro LED ring. 32 images from wing-tip to wing-tip and the image are stacked in photo-shop.  There were a few small faults in the stacking and of course the fine needle, which were resolved with Photo-impacts excellent clone feature.

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +16 more
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow