Does a border change perception of an image

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Pepyn Contributing Member • Posts: 965
Does a border change perception of an image

Hello all,

A rather different thread perhaps.

I'm wondering how image borders change our perception of photographs - perhaps it's an easy answer but I suspect not.

On social media (of course always at the leading edge of photographic excellence), there's a trend for certain images, particularly street / fine art / B&W / architecture to be bordered with white. Not necessarily an equidistant border on each side but enough to place the image within a white backdrop. Professional landscape photographers also tend to this for prints and youtubers/vloggers - whatever they're called - also generally show their images with borders. Increasingly the borders are getting fatter and fatter.

Lately I've been seeing photos with a white border that at first glance I really like, then when I pause for a bit and really look at the photo, and especially if i look at it without the border, my initial feel for the photo often changes and I realise the photo really isn't that great and has less impact.

Obviously, artists of all kinds have been framing for centuries, and galleries use the technique to maximise the effect. What is it about the frame that enhances our perception of an image, is it just the isolating effect.

Keen to hear thoughts on this use of frames/borders for your photographs.

I've included a sample here just to aid the discussion.

Pepyn's gear list:Pepyn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow