200-500 Shoots the Moon

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Senior Member • Posts: 2,668
200-500 Shoots the Moon

The Moon, photographed less than a day past 1st Quarter from my back deck in Flagstaff, Arizona.

I saw this beauty through the deck sliding door the other night. She was hovering above Flagstaff and waiting for someone to photograph her. I made this portrait with the new Nikon D500 and 200-500mm f/5.6E with a 1.4x TC at 700mm, f/8, 1/400, ISO 800.

Centered along the day/night terminator, is the 153 kilometer (km) diameter crater, Ptolemaeus. Only the rim of the crater is catching direct sunlight. To the lower right, is the crater, Albategnius. Notice the bright central peak of this 136 km diameter impact crater. Along Albategnius's rim at the 8 o'clock position is the 44 km diameter crater, Klein. Difficult to see in this down-res'd image but more easily seen in the full-size photo, is an 8 km diameter crater at the 1 o'clock position around Klein's rim.

Given the Moon's diameter (3,174 km), it's apparent size (31.27 arcminutes) at the time of this photograph and the size of Klein A, I would estimate this image is showing details as small as about 2 arcseconds or 4 km in diameter.

That's about twice the distance from my home to where I work. Not bad.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow