Stroboscopic Pointers

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Adam007 Regular Member • Posts: 316
Stroboscopic Pointers

Hi,

I have a small gig shooting Ping-Pong at the local branch of a national Ping-Pong chain.  It's a combination of sports and street shooting.

I rarely use flash, both because it can distract the players, and does not appreciably improve most of the photos I can take there.  There is fair amount of garish light, so I'm usually shooting at 1/400 and 2.2, 1250-1600 ISO.  That will freeze all but the fastest players/balls; I would go to 1/500 but I need the exposure.  Obviously, these will be all be scrambled with flash, but I wanted to give a rough idea of what the ambient like is like.

I'm pitching the club on the idea of setting up a stroboscopic shot for the final game in this season's tournament.  I plan to set up a couple AD600s with gridded softboxes on C-stands, and with then light pointing generally downward toward the players and table,, make some interesting images.

I have experimented with stroboscopic flash in the past, without overwhelming success.  I certainly plan to do some practice on my own, and I'm also arranging to bring everything to the club for some tests beforehand.  So, eventually, I'll figure it out.  But I'd be grateful for any thoughts on where to start the process of dialing things in.

Thanks for any guidance you may have.  Adam

Adam007's gear list:Adam007's gear list
Sony RX10 III Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow