why are Sony FE lens so expensive ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
JohnNEX Senior Member • Posts: 1,272
Re: why are Sony FE lens so expensive ?

TRIODEROB wrote:

is there a legitimate reason that Sony FE lens are so much more expensive than Canon ?

If you are asking about Canon's 50mm f/1.8 STM lens for $125 then the answer is that Sony FE does not have a similar lens at that price and may never.  If you want lenses that cheap then mirrorless is not for you.  None of the main mirrorless companies (Sony, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic) are competing in that ultra-cheap market.

If you are asking about pro level lenses, then the answer is that there is very little difference in the release prices, as I have shown here  for primes and here for zooms.

It is fair to say, however, that Canon lenses do get discounted in price sooner after release than Sony FE lenses, so the "street" prices for the Canon lenses tend to be cheaper than the Sony FE lenses.  I think this is changing a bit in the last year or so, with more discounting for Sony lenses happening.  At least that is my impression.  Anyway, it is not surprising that Canon can be more aggressive on discounting after the initial sales spike is over - they have the sales volumes to afford it.

Canon's announcement of "updates" to its 70-200 lenses (f/2.8 and f/4) with 'expected' minor increases in price from the previous models, is interesting.  They appear to have kept the price from changing much by doing only a minimal update on the lenses, which has upset a few folks.  The big question, still unresolved, is if Canon's lenses can handle the inevitable 80MP sensors, which Sony's lenses are (allegedly) already designed for.

Anyway, a 30 per cent difference in price is total nonsense.

JohnNEX's gear list:JohnNEX's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow