Mt St Helens and Spirit Lake Highway, WA

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tantalum181
tantalum181 Forum Member • Posts: 72
Mt St Helens and Spirit Lake Highway, WA

Took a day off last Wednesday to ride up a portion of Washington State Spirit Lake Highway. It turned out to be the hottest day so far this year (my gps thermometer recorded 100F while climbing). I and a friend rode my tandem bike for about 4500' of ascent. I got a bit overheated and went a little in to heat stress so we caught a ride while climbing out of the Coldwater Lake valley. I packed the SDQH and 18-300mm lens into the front pack. Looks like some speck of dust in the light transmission line.

It was a bit hazy of a day, experienced SPP operators will recognize that a bit of X3F fill was used.

First view from Forest Learning Center.

My stoker/model Denise, the tandem bike, and Mt St Helens of course. At Elk Rock View Point.

Looking back the way we came, down the Toutle River Valley.

Finally made it to Johnstons Ridge Visitor Center. Thunder clouds are gathering.

I was pretty tired but I tried to find some foreground interest as well as the mountain. Imagine, before 1980 it was a thousand feet taller (the rim is around 8000' elevation now) and a full mountain, often compared to Mt Fuji for it's perfect cone.

Here is the gps track:

Spirit Lake Highway to Johnston's Ridge

Bob

-- hide signature --

Look where you want to go. Don't look where you don't want to go.

tantalum181's gear list:tantalum181's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Olympus Tough TG-4 Sigma SD1 Merrill +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow