Dynamic Range, again Locked

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,979
Not a DR issue....

Deardorff wrote:

Friend shooting a Nikon 850 is just fine in the same conditions. He can boost shadows without losing anything we can see.

At ISO 400...as you shot here...there really is no practical difference in Dynamic Range vs the D850. You may simply have not been optimal in your Post Processing

If I overexpose the bright white and try to bring it back down in post processing I lose it.

May need to re-evaluate your workflow.

On this image - it is showing the whites. Maybe I'm not as good with recovery as I should be?

That may be it...but the shot seems to be out of focus and way to much motion blur to get the kind of detail you seem to be after.

I do know that many images I can get detail in the whites and show water droplets on them but lose more on the shadow end than my friends D850. Also his D810.

Again....the camera, in this specific case, is not really the issue as far as I can see.  See how your friend is processing and determine if there is a technique that might help.  Are you both using ACR?

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow