2018: Super fast shooting with zone focusing

Started 3 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
fedpoi
fedpoi New Member • Posts: 9
2018: Super fast shooting with zone focusing

This camera is quite difficult to set up for street photography, and lacks settings where you can record a preset focus distance, minimum shutter speed or the specification of a range of working apertures. However, after more than a year of use and testing I have found a configuration that I feel comfortable with and allows me an ultra-fast way of shooting.
The first thing to do is to take advantage of the small sensor and use the zone focus method. I use it in manual focus with -2 clicks on the pad wheel, which determines a focus of approximately 1.3m, in f:2.8 it implies a focus range of 0.82 to 3.21m, and in f:5.6 it implies a focus range of 0.59 to infinity.
I use the front control ring for the aperture, the Fn1 button for AEL and the Fn2 button for ISO and ND.
My two basic configurations are C1 for indoor use, with ISO at 1600 and f:2.8, and C2 for outdoor use with Auto ISO and f:5.6.
Using the raw format and editing in black and white, the image quality is very good up to 1600 ISO, with that dirty touch that only the film has.
A compact, discreet, super-fast camera with a very bright 28mm f:1.8 and excellent image quality. In terms of noise I would say that the raw at 800 ISO is similar to the 1600 ISO of a Sony RX100 IV.
Finally, to shoot more discreetly and to prevent a lens from being seen coming out of the camera, I attach a 43.5mm filter adapter. The tilt screen is a great advantage.

Same Shoots at https://javiermartinezdelgue.com/

Olympus XZ-2 iHS
12 megapixels • 3 screen • 28 – 112 mm (4×)
Announced: Sep 17, 2012
fedpoi's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Sony RX100 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow