To Print or Not to Print ….

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
WhyNot
WhyNot Veteran Member • Posts: 7,060
To Print or Not to Print ….

… that is the question. …. I was just reading in my morning TOP about a hypothetical graduate program in Photography .. and just like the film era the ultimate goal is to make those archival quality prints . … Every now and then I spend time pondering the prospect of calibrating my monitor and acquiring a really good printer or finding a quality lab where I can again take my digital files to get a quality print ... but then I usually turn to my trusty all-in-one Canon printer, make a test print, adjust the PP and make a final print to frame and hang on a wall where only my family will see it. … months later I repeat the thoughts and process ….

….. and I think to myself “ the era of the printing is disappearing just like those films I use to make pictures with … Why print?” ….. I can buy a decent 42 inch LCD TV that takes SD cards for less than $200 (I checked with Google and looked at a few at Target!) I can even hang one on the wall if that's where I want it! … I can sequence through a dozen or so pictures and the cost now is about the same as printing those pictures and it avoids the work involved in hanging new pictures when I get tired of the old one … Quality? … well I suspect a low priced OLED 4K (8K?) TV is in the not too distant future. . … And using a TV to show my pictures would certainly beat using it as an electronic billboard …

So what do you think … ??

WhyNot

OTOH am I late here? Is printing already dead? …..it took me a while to realize film was ...

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow