Can Sensors Vary Between the Same Camera Model?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
VideoPhotoHybrid New Member • Posts: 3
Can Sensors Vary Between the Same Camera Model?

So I previously owned an A7RII and used it for both photo and video work. I also have an A7SII. I obviously knew when I got the RII that the noise levels would be higher than my SII, but after shooting with it for a year, I determined that wasn't a big issue as the A7RII was giving me very satisfactory results in both photos and video. In other words, I loved it.

A few months ago I picked up an A7RIII and sold off my A7RII. Numerous review I read before making the switch stated that the A7RIII had slightly less noise than the A7RII in comparable situations thanks to the improved processing on the newer camera. However, after spending several months working with the A7RIII, I can't help but feel that both my photos and my videos have more noise in them than my A7RII did. That being said, it's not horrible by any means, but it is a little frustrating because I feel like I took a step backward with the newer camera. I've also noticed that when I grade my A7RIII, it doesn't hold up as well as my A7RII did, nor as well as my A7SII still does. It falls apart quicker even though I'm shooting in the same picture profiles.

Now, I didn't buy my A7RIII because of the supposed improvements with lowlight or noise. I got it for all of the other things it had that made my life much easier when working with these cameras every day. But, I can't help but be a little concerned about this.

My question is, am I crazy, or is it possible that sensors can vary between cameras? In other words, is it possible that my A7RIII has a flawed or imperfect sensor that's doing this, or is the performance difference I'm noticing not really there and I've just simply got something going on in my head that's making me think this?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow