Nikon D850 still consistently out of stock in the US

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
stevef1961 Senior Member • Posts: 2,029
Re: Nikon D850 still consistently out of stock in the US

travelinbri_74 wrote:

Dear 'One True Path,' I must admit, I smoke nothing. I am sorry to disappoint on that front.

I disagree strongly. Nikon loses customers to others - particularly Sony - with this strategy. Interests and budgets are used elsewhere. In my opinion it doesn't help Nikon to have too few cameras. Maybe in the very beginning to drive up the hype, but this far on, they need to be able to meet customer demand. You have to remember that there is a huge mark up on cameras and even if we were at the point where camera prices need to come down once a year by a few hundred bucks during sale periods, they would still turn more of a profit with more cameras on the market. In the meantime, the lost customers are often gone until the next iteration or upgrade.

I’d say the majority of people buying an 850 are experienced photographers, already in the Nikon system with big dollars worth of Nikon lenses.  I can’t see big numbers of them jumping to Sony because they have to wait for that body.  Not to mention the 850 is ideally suited for sports and wildlife which the Sony doesn’t excel at.

stevef1961's gear list:stevef1961's gear list
Nikon D750
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
S I
NCB
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow