Telephoto for macro

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
A Wingnut
A Wingnut Regular Member • Posts: 211
Telephoto for macro

I would like to add a second lens for macro and I am realizing a telephoto is what I need. I Struggle to get butterflies and dragonflies a lot as a result of such a short reach. The telephoto will also give me some nice smooth backgrounds without sacrificing a lot of depth of field either.

That being said, I am really not sure what is best. I am looking at some low aperture (2.8) 200mm lenses, or a 4.5 400mm. 400mm would let me get some other wildlife, but am I sacrificing a lot for macro with the 400mm vs the 200mm?

I am also really torn as to what lens to get. When I found the 90mm sony macro, I knew that’s what I needed and wanted, but this time around, I am not as well educated on the use of telephoto lenses in macro to be able to make an informed decision. This topic is subjective, I realize, however, how much sharper is, say, a Sony G/GM lens vs a Tamron or Sigma? I have an A7RIII, and also don’t want to make my camera come up short because I didn’t choose a good lens. How vital is that 2 (?) stops when photographing at longer focal lengths.

A Wingnut's gear list:A Wingnut's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R III Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow