Older Canon 200mm f/2.8 L USM (mark 1) "grinding gears"?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Frodro100 Regular Member • Posts: 249
Older Canon 200mm f/2.8 L USM (mark 1) "grinding gears"?

I have an older 200mm f/2.8 L, and the autofocus makes a tiny squeak when lens is pointed upward and AF is initiated from the minimum focus distance. There is no noise when the lens is autofocused horizontally. When the focus ring is turned manually (again, with the lens pointed upward), I can feel and hear a tiny amount of resistance in that minimum focus 1.5-1.8m range, with some vibration in that part of the turn of the ring which resembles (on a smaller scale) when you drag a chair across a floor. To my eye, this issue doesn't seem to affect AF speed or accuracy.

I was told that this is an example of "grinding gears," although the lens itself is extremely clean. I'm not the original owner, but it really doesn't look like it ever saw enough use, other than by me and I have hardly used it, for anything to wear out, which is why I'm skeptical that gears are "grinding."

Anyone out there who has experience with older lenses know what might be the issue? Do you think this is an indication of imminent mechanical failure? Would you get the lens serviced preemptively or just keep driving it until/if it breaks down?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow