Hiking Grey Mountain in Poudre Canyon

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Newbie Phewbie Senior Member • Posts: 1,138
Hiking Grey Mountain in Poudre Canyon

We camped in Poudre Canyon last weekend and hiked Grey Mountain. A lovely hike in the foothills with a lot of wildflower, bird and butterfly action. The haze is from forest fires to the north & west.

All pictures with the A6500 and the 18-135. The lens is ideal for hiking & will replace the 16-50 that I used to carry with me. I sling it across my body and it stays out of the way. I barely notice the weight. I'll probably take the 12mm with me too in the future.

The hike starts with a crossing of the Cache La Poudre river. We just missed a bunch of rafters.

The early hiking is along streams and through pine forests.

This area was devastated in June of 2012 with the 3rd largest recorded forest fire in Colorado.

The first glimpse of the immense gray rock that gives the mountain its name.

The start of the hike around the rock and to the top.

The peak. We didn't scramble all the way up, but stopped here for lunch before turning around.  By this time, the skies in the west were looking very threatening.

Western Spiderwort.

Yellow Salsify flower

Yarrow with a Pearl Crescent butterfly and some kind of beetle (Soldier?)

Prickly pear cactus flower.

Satyr Comma

Weidemeyer's Admiral

Yellow Tanagers

A black headed grosbeak

Plenty of these dragonflies - a Familiar Bluet

Newbie Phewbie's gear list:Newbie Phewbie's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +4 more
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow