Desperately need camera advice...

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TheVioletVampire New Member • Posts: 2
Desperately need camera advice...

Hello, I am in serious need of help figuring out my best option for product photography. I make greetings cards, vinyl decals, etc, all of which are highly detailed and contain multiple layers. I also add lots of elements to make them pop (things like jewels, glitter card stock, foil/metallic poster board, holographic vinyl, etc). I have yet to find a good camera option for my highly detailed work. I've tried the cameras I already own from smartphones to an old digital Nikon (L105). The photos are so dull that people are blown away by my work when they see the same thing in person compared to online via photographs. I've been entertaining the idea of breaking down and buying a DSLR in hopes that it will provide the kind of fine detail I need. However, I'm not sure which lens is best for photographing my work. I was considering a Nikon D3400 since it's at the top of almost every list I have seen during my research, but I also understand that the lens is the most important part (compared to the camera body). The camera comes with a 55mm lens kit, but I wonder if I need to look at a 40mm instead? Or would that be too macro for a larger item (i.e. a card that is larger than 5x7)? Like I said, I'm in desperate need of assistance and I'm hoping the amazing photographers on this site will help steer me in the correct direction. Any and all help is incredibly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow