Server-based Photo Management Software for Large Image Library?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Webreaper Forum Member • Posts: 59
Server-based Photo Management Software for Large Image Library?

I have about 350,000 photos and need to be able to search them very quickly based on folder name, image name, IPTC tags and other metadata. The photos are stored as high-res JPG files (5-10MB per image), with the entire collection totalling around 1.5-2TB. They reside on a Synology NAS, and need to be accessed across a LAN on a MacBook Air and Pro.

Unfortunately, managing this scale of images is proving challenging. Things I've tried:

- Google Photos: great, but doesn't include IPTC tags in its search

- Amazon Prime Photos: great, but doesn't include IPTC tags

- Lightroom: great search, but it's just too slow across the LAN with this number of photos. Also, adding large numbers of photos means leaving the Macbook running for hours to sync the library - and if I update random metadata/tags in arbitrary photos, I would have to rescan the entire library (which would take a week).

- Synology PhotoStation: Looks promising - the indexing service runs in the background and will update photos as they're changed, and it has good search with support for IPTC tags. Downsides are that it seems to be a bit flaky (1 out of 3 times I load the web GUI and it fails to initialise).

Are there any other server based linux image management platforms that I can use to manage this large number of photos?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow