Broke down and ordered a 200-500

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jimusny
Jimusny Senior Member • Posts: 1,616
Broke down and ordered a 200-500

Just need to see how it is for myself I guess ebay had a 10 percent ebay bucks offer so got one form buydig with a free Sandisk extreme pro 128GB card..  so ends up around 1250 bucks if I do keep it.. It is on the truck for delivery today so when it comes I will do a quick AF tune at 500 and give it go tonight.. Buydig has a 30 day no questions asked return if needed and even sends a free return label so worse case I got to try it free, so cheaper than renting too try

tomorrow I may try some tests at 420MM with the 300MM PF and 1.4x for sharpness and also my Tamron G2 at same 420, and then both the zooms at 500MM and see what I think is the way to go.. If AF speed is the same or slower, sharpness is not too far off etc  and I can not do BIF any better with the 200-500MM I will probably just send back. that extra 100MM is at least something, and the 80MM I lose with 300 PF is not a show stopper either.. especially f I end up with a 500MM PF

If I do keep the 200-500 and sell the G2 at least I got a great deal on the G2 black Friday so I may be able  to even make money on used prices..  I got 4 percent cash back and a 300 dollar Credit card with that one

I f I keep the 200-500 and I end up with a 500 PF and no longer want it, at least I shouldn't lose too much on a resale with the deal I got, and still maybe not loose less than the cost of renting one to try for a month, at least that my reasoning

I had the Sigma C and Tamron G2for over a year together, I kept the  G2 only because it seemed a bit sharper on static shots, even though I think the Sigma was better at AF moving targets and if U use it mainly for 600MM I would use on perched birds at a distance while carrying my littel PF for the fast movers, plus the fact I still made more for it used than I bought it new for(another black Friday deal the prior year)

At least so far my trying different lenses hasnt cost me anything well except the 80-400 G which I took a beating on, but wast using it so may as well use that money I got from that  to try the 200-500

now the sun is supposed to be out the  next 2 days, so hopefully some birds are co-operative in flying near by.

Jimusny's gear list:Jimusny's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D500 +8 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow