E-M1.2 Wizards..Settings challenge…..or basic anomaly ?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dave in Wales
Dave in Wales Regular Member • Posts: 311
E-M1.2 Wizards..Settings challenge…..or basic anomaly ?

This is a challenge for all you E-M1.2 wizards, it may even apply to the whole OMD range.

I’m not new to OMD’s having owned a number since the E-M5, but am I making a fundamental error?

The possibly anomaly manifests itself, and is more noticeable when shooting dark/darkish scenes.

First a premise that I feel we would all agree with…. It ought to be possible to adjust the camera settings so the EVF image, the Live View image and the resultant captured image (JPG in this case) all look the same, one to the other, without the need for exposure compensation. The three images should be a true representation of the scene being photographed.

Humour me, try this, set your camera to…

IOS Auto.

Any shooting mode.

ESP metering.

Take your camera into a darkish location, in my case an unlit garage and take a shot.

My observations/results. The ambient light level was dark. The EVF image, the LV image and the captured image were all approx one stop over exposed.

Olympus tell me that the captured image is correct for the camera setting, but what I cannot get to grips with is that both the EVF and LV images are both over-exposed.

From Oly…… May I please advise that the shots you sent are perfectly exposed examples of an E-M1 Mk.II in P mode under those lighting conditions.

They also suggested that I take the camera to my dealer to compare it and guess what….the store demo model behaved in exactly the same manner.

Just in case you cannot follow all this rubbish, my main beef is that the camera (EVF & LV) is not showing me what's on the other side of the lens.

If any of you ‘settings’ wizards can help I’d be very glad to hear from you, It ought not be necessary to dial in minus one stop to get the camera to display accurately what's on the other side of the lens.

Garage as seen by my eye…ambient light. Shot was achieved in PP by reducing the lighting by about one stop.

Garage as seen in EVF, in LV and recorded image.

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow