Trouble with the telly :)

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kiwigirl
kiwigirl Senior Member • Posts: 1,727
Trouble with the telly :)

We have a 7 year old “dumb” Samsung TV which I plug an external hard drive into to play photos, slide shows and videos. It’s a 2TB drive and has worked perfectly up till recently when it wouldn’t play videos without stuttering. Thought the latest clip I added was faulty till I tried other videos and they also played up. Once I removed the extra clips it went back to playing everything smoothly. So I presumed that it was a limitation of the TV’s processing power to search through the drive.

I Googled this and apparently it is a known problem with drives over 2TB as they use a different file partitioning system (or some such gobbly-de-goop which is over my head!). So my 2TB drive has approx 120GB of data on it and it is, from my TV’s point of view – full up!

So to add more files I am going to have to purchase another drive. This time a 1TB which “should” be less problematic according to the article I read!  My query then, is if anyone else has come up against this issue and have you found by using the smaller drive that you are able to utilize most of the drive space? I don’t produce that many files for the TV drive and it has taken me a while to "fill" it up (to 120GB). Considering that 1TB drives are becoming less available as larger ones are so cheap now, it may pay to buy a couple of these as insurance sooner rather than later?!

kiwigirl's gear list:kiwigirl's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +9 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow