Torn between A-Mount (a99ii) and E-Mount full frame

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chairmanlmao Regular Member • Posts: 130
Torn between A-Mount (a99ii) and E-Mount full frame

hey,

I am trying to decide between the A7iii, A7rIII and A9 OR the A99ii. I already have two A-mount lenses, the classic 50mm 1.4 screw drive, as well as the APS-C Sony 16-50 2.8.

But, my original A99 was dropped off a theme park ride (don't ask! lol), so I am starting again now I have got the insurance payout. I'm in the UK and the costs (bar the A9) are similar.

• if I got the A99ii it would be £2700 with no new lenses. I might consider trading in the 16-50 2.8 for a full frame equivlanet such as the 28-75 2.8 (but I like using the APS-C mode with a zoom).
  • The A7iii would be £2200, but I would also want the 55 1.8, so that's £2800
  • The A7riii would be £3200 body only (!), and i'd need a least the 55 1.8, so nearly 1k more than the A99ii / A7iii stuff.
  • The A9 is much more again.

I take pics of sport as a hobby - the odd picture made it into the local paper - but that sport also includes some mountain biking, so I need some dust and weather resistance (hence using the 16-50 2.8 on the a99). But i also take pics of kids and having used a friends A7riii with eye-af I really want eye-af :). I'd also like silent shutter if possible. Don't really do video.

Pros and cons as I see of each:

• A7iii. + Cheapest way into modern e-mount AF. Eye-af. Silent shutter. Body size (is this good or bad, if I like the handling of DSLR's, and the lenses are similar sizes).

- Build quality, dust/moisture resistance compared to A99ii. Kit lens zoom compared to 16-50 2.8. Handling compared to DSLR.

• A7rIII + higher MP for cropping. Better build than A7iii. Better screen and EVF than A7iii. Silent shutter

- Build quality, dust/moisture resistance compared to A99ii (but better than A7iii?). Smaller AF coverage than A7iii (but same as A99ii).

• A9 + Best af? Best speed. Better screen and EVF than A7iii. Best silent shutter. No blackout.

- Build quality, dust/moisture resistance compared to A99ii? (but better than A7iii?). Lower MP so less cropping options.

• A99ii + Best Build. Decent if not best AF (is the eye AF Ok with screw-drive?). Best handling (arguably). Have some lenses now. Cheapest option (just).

- No silent shutter :(. Worse battery life. EVF no better than A7iii?

if the A99 had a silent shutter, and an affordable weather resistant full frame zoom with quiet focussing, I would get it, but it doesn't so...not sure what to do. Any opinions?

Sony a9 Sony Alpha a99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow