Question re 80D AI Servo & subject tracking

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cityslicker New Member • Posts: 3
Question re 80D AI Servo & subject tracking

I recently got a good deal on an 80D and I am very happy with it overall. However, I want to make sure I understand the way the AI Servo focus is supposed to work with subjects that move across the frame.

My observation, based on my experience so far with the 80D, is that the focus points will track a moving subject around the frame only when the focus point selection is on 45-point Automatic Selection AF.  In that mode, the illuminated focus points move around the frame to stay locked on the subject.  But in Single-point AF Mode, or Zone AF (with the zone of 9 focus points), the selected focus point (or the selected Zone) stays in place within the frame/viewfinder even if the subject moves laterally within the frame.  At least, that is how my 80D works.  Is that how it is supposed to work?

This seems contrary to what the manual suggests; page 125 states, "When AI Servo AF mode is set with 45-point automatic selection AF, Large Zone AF, or Zone AF, the active AF point will keep switching to track the subject."  That makes it sound as if the focus points will track the subject around the frame even in Zone AF mode -- which my 80D definitely does not do.

(In Live View, it is very different: I can tap on the LCD to focus on a particular subject, and that focus point will stay on the subject as it moves around the frame.)

cityslicker's gear list:cityslicker's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow