Need help on lighting here please...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mom212345 Forum Member • Posts: 81
Need help on lighting here please...

I specialize in fine art school portraits and work mostly with preschools and small private schools.  I typically use natural lighting with reflectors.  This particular school hired me to do Kindergarten pix this spring and I did them in a small room - the windows were tinted so dark (we live in Vegas) and I used my Westcott Strobelite Plus and turned off overhead lights. The pix turned out fine and the school wants me to do their school portraits this fall. I used the Strobelite as a continuous light.

This are phone pix of the room they want me to do the photos in. There will be three to four stations here. The top photo, there will be a station (possibly 2) in the way back on the left. The station for the middle photo will be in the back on the left. The station for the 3rd image will be on the right.

The ceiling is approx. 16-18' feet tall and the lights hang down another 3 + feet, maybe more.  I don't want to turn the lights off here as it's a safety issue with 800 kids.  My question is will the Strobelite (continuous light) over power the overhead flourescent lights? What type of bulb should I get?

For my fine art portraits, I typically shoot @ f/2 or f/2.2.  We'll be using black backgrounds for this portrait day.  I have the two lights and would be able to purchase two more, but my budget is less than $200 per light.

If you've gotten this far, thanks for hanging in there. I guess I'm kind of rambling.

-- hide signature --

Carol

mom212345's gear list:mom212345's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow