Scratched Focusing Screen on D810, Send to Nikon or DIY

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
aperturegeorge Regular Member • Posts: 237
Scratched Focusing Screen on D810, Send to Nikon or DIY

I just wanted to share my experience with a scratched focusing screen. I had gotten dust on the inside of the focusing screen on my Nikon D810. Using an air blower would not resolve it. It had been there for a while and it became very annoying looking through the viewfinder. So I tried removing the screen very carefully and unfortunately put a scratch on it, but did remove the dust. The screen is a soft plastic material. Nikon wanted 240.00 to clean the dust out and I found that was unrealistic for the work needed to do the job. I then called Nikon Canada to see how much it would be to have a new focusing screen installed. Service said, $374.00 and I was shocked to hear that. So with shipping and taxes it was over $450.00 Canadian. Wow, I had to take another approach or I was going to be using a scratched screen. Out of curiosity I called Nikons parts department to see if they would sell me a new screen and then I could try to install it myself. They said yes,  I asked how much and it was an OEM  for $5.10 each. So I ordered a few in case I damaged another one. So is there a lot more to changing a focusing screen when Nikon does it or is it the same amount of labour that is shown in the screen installation instructions from focusscreen.com?

It just seems that their labour charges are getting out of hand or is this the same across the industry.

Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow