Lonely Speck's K-1 II astrophotography review

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Rishi Sanyal
Rishi Sanyal dpreview Admin • Posts: 800
Re: Lonely Speck's K-1 II astrophotography review

Rishi Sanyal wrote:

BarneyL wrote:

https://www.lonelyspeck.com/pentax-k-1-mark-ii-astrophotography-review/

"On its own, the K-1 Mark II impressed us tremendously with its plethora of features, low price, excellent image quality and unique quality-of-life features that directly benefit landscape and astrophotography. (4.5/5 – Highly Recommended)"

Ian recently updated his review, writing:

"However, the [noise reduction] issue does create that bizarre non-random grid pattern that’s visible under magnification. Astrophotographers hoping to stack multiple exposures should approach the K-1 Mark II with consideration of this issue and understand that the K-1 Mark II is not as good of a choice versus its older and cheaper predecessor, the original K-1.

I agree with DPReview’s assessment and I wish that manufacturers would stop trying to apply noise reducing techniques to RAW files.

Knowing that the original K-1 shares nearly all of the same features that I love about the K-1 Mark II, but doesn’t have baked-in noise reduction, the original K-1 is a better deal than the Mark II version."

Updated Verdict: 4/5

2nd Update [06.20]: While the cross-hatching visible as small horizontal and vertical false detail is still visible in individual shots and stacks of fewer total # of shots, the low frequency grid pattern may have been a result of some other processing artifact.

I'm taking a look at the Raws currently, and will report back with any updates here. Some grid-like patterns persist in a 2-image stack, but its higher frequency so, arguably, slightly less distracting than the low frequency grid initially visualized.

-Rishi

Rishi Sanyal's gear list:Rishi Sanyal's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Nikon D810 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Nikon 85mm F1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow