Just got my Sigma 35 1.4 ART...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mikeywcu
Mikeywcu Regular Member • Posts: 429
Just got my Sigma 35 1.4 ART...

Hey guys, been a few years since I’ve posted anything on these forums (was an Oly shooter for a long time). Anyway, just got my Sig 35 1.4 a few days back and threw it in the A7ii. In short, I think I’ll be returning it. Great color, great contrast, solid build. Sharpness...yeah it’s sharp. Is it all that much sharper than my Sony ZA 35 2.8 that I sold for this lens? Not necessarily. So I’d say it’s definitely sharp enough, but my Zeiss Planar T 50mm f2 still spanks it.

Downside? Two problems: one, this lens is HEAVY and BIG. Like, holy hell, get me a back brace. The other problem (and this is the clincher) is that the AF is atrocious. I realize the A7ii is hardly a speed demon, but this AF performance is simply unacceptable. It hunts, it misses, and it’s just....slow. No better word for it. I’m really frustrated because I shot weddings for years, then got away from it for a while. Now I’m getting back in the game, and I thought this would be my new go-to. Shoot, the photog who shot MY wedding used the ART 35 on a Canon and said it’s the only 35 she’ll ever shoot.

Quite a conundrum. Part of me says Sig will release a firmware update at some point to address this. Part of me says it’s a lost cause. I’d love to know if anyone else who’s gotten their copy has also seen poor AF performance. And now I’m eyeing up the Samy 35 1.4, so I’d be interested in any feedback on that lens as well, especially compared to the Sony ZA version.

I was complaining about this situation to my wife, and she distilled it well for me: “When  you got your Zeiss 50, you wouldn’t shut up about it for like a week, and you wouldn’t stop taking pictures of even boring things just because you were so happy. For $900 you should be obsessed with this Sigma. You’re not obsessed.”

Mikeywcu's gear list:Mikeywcu's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +6 more
Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow