So much for A mount support!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
digititus Senior Member • Posts: 1,599
So much for A mount support!

My favorite Sony lens, the SAL16105, developed a stiff and sometimes gritty feeling zoom ring.  The gritty feel is not from abuse or exposure to dusty and dirt because I have always pampered this lens as I do all my equipment.

Since this is my go to lens, I decided to have it repaired rather than wait till it becomes a major problem.  So, after checking their website I determined that Precision has a standard rate of over $200 to repair this lens.  That seemed high for what I thought would be a simple repair, but nevertheless I spent $27.87 to ship the lens to Precision in CT for repair.

Based on the information on their website I expected to be contacted to authorize the repair work once the lens had been examined and a final repair cost determined.  You can imagine my surprise when just six days after I shipped the lens from PA, it reappeared on my front porch.  I eagerly opened the box thinking it had been repaired.   Much to my disappointment there was a note inside saying parts needed for this repair were no longer available.

So, I am really angry with Sony, and to a lesser degree Precision.  I am PO'd with Sony because this lens is still a current model.  To the best of my knowledge it has not been discontinued, and even if it were they should still make parts available for some period of time.  I would love to ask one of those Sony exec's who keeps saying they are committed to A-mount if this is how they demonstrate that committment.  I think most of what they say about A-mount is pure BS and just lip service!  Their idea of support is we'll be happy to sell you a new one!

Now for Precision's role, I see no evidence that they did anything other than eyeball the lens and ship it back.  So, if a cleaning and lubrication would have fixed the problem they would never know.  Furthermore, if they can no longer get parts for this lens they should remove it from the list of lens they repair.  It would have saved me $28.  Yes, I guess I should have called them first, but I have a feeling they would have said, send it in so we can look at it.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow